BasicBookReader – Update – Week1

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on StumbleUpon

It has been a week since I started on the BasicBookReader and things are going well. I have received a few emails regarding it (to my surprise) and am glad to have some help/interested parties!

Total Hours Spend: 23 hrs
Compiled Version (on my computer): 81Kb
Known Bugs: 1

Github: lettergram/basicbookreader

As of today the file size stands at 81Kb, compiled on my Mac. I would like to have it smaller, but I don’t think that is going to happen. I believe I have tested it thoroughly and I have not had it crash under any case I put it through and I have enabled adjustable dimensions (forgot about that in my first post, oops). Here is the current layout:

BBB Layout

As you can see I have removed quite a few buttons and added a couple for statistics. Now, all you have to do to load a book is click on the “select book” button and you’ll receive a display:

BBB Book Selection

This should make it much easier/nicer to search a collection of books and select the one you would like to read.

BBB - Book

Obviously, there is still a lot of work to be done and it still can only access “.txt” files, however I think it is going fairly well. I have logged roughly ~20 hours into the project and can successfully use it to read books as well as store the time required for each page.

Currently, the statistics only store the time one spends on a page, and I am looking to add a few other statistics:

  • Dates the pages were accessed
  • Possibly a way to “rate” a book/page/chapter
  • Separate users

I also may add statistics tools which would allow you to view your statistics inside the application. I do not know if I like this idea since it will increase the size of the application, but it would make sense.

If you would like to get involved in the project, please feel free to get in touch or simply fork my repo!

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on StumbleUpon